CERN is much more than just physicists and physics! The Engineering Department (EN) has an opening for a surveyor who will be in charge of the metrology and alignment of all components of the particle accelerators at CERN. Not only will you be able to work in a dynamic and international environment but you will get to use the latest surveying tools and software in order to achieve the sub-millimitre accuracy. CERN, take part!
Survey Technician in the Engineering Department (EN), Survey Mechatronics and Measurements (SMM-Group), Accelerators Survey and Geodesy section (ASG-Section).
You will join:
- The EN Engineering Department which provides CERN with the Engineering Competences, Infrastructure Systems and Technical Coordination required for the design, installation, operation, maintenance and dismantling phases of the CERN accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The EN/SMM Group (Survey Mechatronics and Measurements) responsible for the geodetic metrology of the accelerators, their associated beam transfer lines and of detectors, for the whole CERN site and the design and operation of the mechatronics of the CERN accelerators beam intercepting devices (BIDs) as well as the development of robotic solutions for remote inspections and tele-manipulation in radioactive areas. SMM provides support for all measurements, test systems and data analysis applications based on LabVIEW as well as support on radiation tests of electronic components and systems for radiation tolerant design.
- The ASG (Accelerator Surveying & Geodesy) Section responsible for the metrology and alignment of the accelerators and their associated beam transfer lines, as well as the geodesy to provide the reference systems for all positioning related activities and the necessary mathematical models for data processing.
As a Survey Technician in the EN-SMM-ASG Section, you will be part of the team in charge of metrology and alignment of CERN Accelerator components.
In this role you will:
- Align all types of magnets in the CERN accelerator complex, in particular in the LHC long straight sections (LSS), write the corresponding survey reports and manage relevant documentation.
- Perform metrology measurements at all stages during assembly of accelerator components using laser trackers.
- Give feedback in order to improve and optimise related survey procedures, methods and software.
- Perform "as built" measurements of tunnels and buildings using laser scanners.
- Ensure availability and proper functioning of the instrumentation and software provided to a sub-contractor and follow-up on the work done, including the data processing.
- Determine Geodetic Network points using GPS.
- Calibrate the Electronic Distance Measurers (EDM).
Higher technical diploma in the field of survey or topographical technician diploma in the domain of survey and geodesy, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Initial experience in the domain of high accuracy geodetic metrology.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Use of high accuracy survey instruments (theodolites, total stations, optical & digital levers).
- Laser tracker measurements: basic knowledge.
- Basic use of standard compensation software.
- Laser scanning: basic use of instruments and software.
- Use of Office software packages: Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Demonstrating accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language (or willingness to learn it) in routine situations.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 29.04.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.