Cooling and Ventilation Engineer
Are you a qualified Mechanical Engineer, specialized in industrial ventilation or cooling and hydraulics installations? Contribute your skills and experience to the design and construction of highly complex large cooling plants in a unique environment hosting some of the world's most complex technical installations. Join CERN's Cooling and Ventilation team. CERN, take part!
Mechanical Engineer (Cooling or Ventilation) in the EN Department (EN), Cooling and Ventilation Group (CV), Project Section (PJ)
Engineer for Cooling and Ventilation Plants in the Engineering Department (EN), Cooling and Ventilation Group (CV).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Cooling & Ventilation Group (CV), responsible for designing, constructing, maintaining, and operating cooling, ventilation and air conditioning systems and large scale fluid distribution systems for the whole Laboratory, particularly in accelerators and the underground areas of experiments.
- The Project Section (PJ) within the CV Group, in charge of the design, tendering and work phases of CV installations as well as feasibility studies for new plants; the size of these plants can range from small systems up to large-scale structures of several MW.
You will benefit from:
- The opportunity to broaden your knowledge and experience into new areas and discover a domain where excellence is the key driving factor.
- Specific training and support for professional development to foster your skills and develop your talents.
As a Cooling and Ventilation Engineer, you will:
- Take responsibility for complex project management, including supervision of staff assigned to the project.
- Carry out feasibility studies or detailed design studies for ventilation or cooling and compressed air systems including sizing and cost estimates for the proposed solutions.
- Follow up project progress and regularly report on issues, schedule and costs, throughout all phases from installation to commissioning and the formal reception of the works.
- Draw up technical specifications and all the relevant documents needed for the adjudication of the works for external contractors.
- After having managed the contract tendering and participated in the adjudication process, ensure technical contract management and supervision of contractors in charge of the works.
- Write up technical reports and notes.
- Participate in the commissioning of the system.
- Support the other Group members in process improvement of existing plants and their operation.
Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering, preferably with a specialisation in industrial hydraulics and ventilation installations, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the design, construction and test of large-size ventilation or cooling installations including experience in selecting related equipment and instrumentation.
- Experience in complex, multidisciplinary project management.
- Experience in team management.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of distribution and air treatment plants as well as compressed air systems, including testing and installation.
- Installation of water cooling plants including the design and testing of raw, demineralised and chilled water distribution networks.
- Maintenance and operation of water cooling plants, compressed air production and distribution plants, as well as air treatment plants.
- Cooling process and regulation or HVAC process and regulation.
- Project management.
- Quality management: knowledge of this field would be an asset.
The following competency would be a definite asset:
- Knowledge of low voltage network and switchboards.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Achieving results: driving work/projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw up engineering documents and technical specifications, and to prepare and make oral presentations in English.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 14.03.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.