Are you an experienced civil engineer with outstanding coordination and organisational skills? Do you enjoy achieving high quality results? Do you like to build effective collaborations with colleagues and contractors? Make your contribution to exciting and dynamic civil infrastructure projects within the most unique particle physics laboratory in the world: CERN. Take part!
Civil Engineer in the Site Management and Buildings Department (SMB), Site Engineering Group (SE), Civil Engineering & Buildings Section (CEB).
You will join:
The Site Engineering Group (SE) builds and maintains the Organization's sites (two main sites and 15 satellite sites), buildings (more than 500, totalling a usable surface area of 500,000 m2) and underground structures (over 60 km of machine tunnels and service tunnels). The Group's responsibilities cover all phases of a project, from the preliminary design study to the completion of construction. The Group also remains responsible for the infrastructures throughout their life cycles.
The Civil Engineering & Buildings Section (CEB) is responsible for organizing, coordinating and supervising the execution of construction works related to buildings and civil engineering infrastructures, required for CERN operation, throughout infrastructure life cycle including construction, maintenance and refurbishment.
As a Civil Engineer in the CEB Section, you will plan and coordinate maintenance and development work associated with underground structures and related surface infrastructure (including metallic structure and reinforced concrete).
Organize and perform civil engineering structure surveys.
Oversee the design of civil engineering structures.
Coordinate civil engineering work through planning, supervision and monitoring.
Commission civil engineering structures.
Plan maintenance and consolidation of civil engineering structures.
Manage projects and studies.
Coordinate quality and safety of civil engineering work.
Contribute to procurement processes and contract management.
Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the field of civil engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
Initial experience in coordinating works on civil engineering structures in underground environments.
Demonstrated hands-on experience in the field of civil engineering structure maintenance.
Experience in procurement processes and contract management would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Organisation, planning and control.
- Underground structure construction.
- Industrial and civil building construction.
- Concrete structure construction.
- Technical supervision of contract.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Achieving results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Solving problems: adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than `gold -plated' technical solutions.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; gaining trust and collaboration from others.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.03.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.