Radiation Protection Specialist
Are you interested in joining a dynamic multi-national team of radiation protection specialists? Take responsibility of radiation protection at the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities. CERN, Take Part!
Radiation Protection Specialist in the Occupational Health and Safety and Environmental Protection Unit (HSE), Radiation Protection Group (RP), Characterization and Services Section (CS).
You will join:
The Occupational Health and Safety and Environmental Protection (HSE) Unit which acts in matters of safety and the protection of personnel and environment. The Radiation Protection Group protects workers and public against the risks of exposure to ionising radiation, ensuring that exposure is kept as low as reasonably achievable. The duties of CERN's Radiation Protection Group include the assessment of radiation hazards of CERN's activities, including accelerators and experiments, the definition of protective measures as well as the legally required monitoring of the exposure of radiation workers to ionising radiation.
As a Radiation Protection Specialist in the RP-CS Section, you will execute projects, studies and services aimed at assessing radiological risks from activated materials and waste. This task also comprises the characterization of activated material by determining nuclide inventories with measurements and simulations.
In particular, you will:
Lead the effort to consolidate and upgrade the radio-analytical laboratory service for the upcoming major shut-down activities with increased material influx.
Improve existing and establish state-of-the-art quality assurance procedures and protocols for various analysis techniques (gamma spectroscopy, alpha/beta counting, radiochemical analysis).
Produce, contribute to or edit legal, technical and scientific documentation, including rules, specifications, reports, notes, international publications and presentations for internal/external use.
Participate in the development of data-management software integrating radio-analytic results within CERN's traceability management system (TREC), by writing functional specifications and taking an active role in the acceptance process.
Lead and participate in RP research and development of novel measurement technologies suitable for detection of very low activity levels.
Participate in the development of new models and tools to determine the nuclide inventories of material with sometimes uncertain radiological history.
Coordinate the work of technical personnel and students.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the fields of physics or engineering with a specialization in nuclear physics, radiation protection, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
Demonstrated experience in analytical laboratory measurements, especially in gamma spectroscopy and alpha/beta counting.
Demonstrated experience in the creation and documentation of processing plans and quality assurance procedures for analytic laboratories (knowledge of ISO/IEC 17025 would be an asset).
Proven skills in writing technical and scientific documentation, including rules, reports and international publications.
Good knowledge and experience in the use of Monte Carlo radiation transport codes in order to carry out nuclide inventory calculations as well as detector characterization.
Thorough knowledge of the design of high-energy accelerators and experiments and the physics processes leading to the creation of radionuclides.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Knowledge of measurement techniques for ionising radiation: gamma spectroscopy, alpha/beta counting.
- Knowledge of radioactive decay and spectroscopy.
- Quality management.
- Systems integration.
- Usability requirements analysis.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
The language competencies required are:
- English: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications, and/or to make oral presentations.
- Ability to understand French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 23.02.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.