Are you a Database Engineer willing to take an active role in the support of the databases used by the LHC experiments, LHC accelerator operations team and by CERN's administrative support services? Then join CERN and take part in one of the most incredible scientific experiments in the world! CERN, take part!
Database Engineer in the Information Technology (IT) Department, Database Services (DB) Group, (DBR) Section.
You will join:
- The Database Services (DB) Group which is responsible for all aspects of database service provision at CERN, including support or the control and operation of the LHC accelerator and support for the online and offline activities of the LHC experiments as well as support for Administrative Information Services. More information on the IT Department and Database group is at: http://cern.ch/it-dep/ and http://cern.ch/it-dep/db/ and on the databases at CERN DB blog at: http://db-blog.web.cern.ch/.
As a Database Engineer in the Database Services (DB) Group, your main activities will consist of:
- Database administration of production databases (Oracle RAC, other technologies) through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configuration and support of database platforms: architecture, evolution, migration, upgrades and patches, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability and security.
- Consultancy, assistance and advice to end users, including database design.
- Development of software modules following IT-DB guidelines and projects needs.
- Sharing domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and training to peers.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the fields of computing science or a science discipline (e.g. physics) with significant computing content.
The successful candidate should have demonstrated experience in following fields:
- Operation of large scale production database environments.
- Technical and troubleshooting skills with relational Oracle databases.
- Performance tuning, query optimization, replication techniques, clustering, partitioning and security issues.
- Backups, restores, recovery.
Additional experience in the following fields would be an asset:
- Experience on different DBMS (PostgreSQL and MySQL) and/or NoSQL databases.
- Knowledge of SAN and NAS storage.
- Database operations experience in an Agile development environment - Exposure to puppet configuration management.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Database administration: familiarity with large-scale and high-availability database environments.
- System software administration: knowledge of Linux, knowledge of enterprise storage management (SAN or NAS) would be an asset.
- Programming/software development: SQL knowledge is required. Unix shell script, Perl, or Python programming would be an advantage.
- Requirements definition and management: ability to collect the needs of users and to manage the different phases of a project.
- Technical advice and guidance: ability to work with users to design and improve database applications.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture; addressing complex problems by breaking them down into manageable components.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; objectively assessing and monitoring own work; regularly reporting on progress and advising of any changes in schedule or priorities.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; providing others with timely information.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; creating or participating in forums to exchange experience, comparing techniques and learn from others.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts; ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Ability to understand and speak French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 14.01.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.